New Girl Season 3: Final thoughts

I've been putting off writing this post for a few reasons. The main one being that on the whole, Season 3 of New Girl disappointed me and it makes me really sad to admit that. The storyline was set from the end of Season 2 - Nick and Jess were together and what would undoubtedly be the focus of the third season.

Don't get me wrong, I 'shipped' Ness for so long and when they kissed at the end of Cooler I was ecstatic! As the storyline progressed though I thought it would only make good TV it resulted in one single night of passion (or nerdy sex) or if they were to live happily every after which of course in TV land was never an option. 

It turned out neither of these ways and exactly how I expected. Immediately the main focus from the series was eliminated and the writers struggled to find a new hook to keep fans engaged throughout SE3. I never felt there was anything to keep me going back week after week and did so out of habit more than anything else. 



Schmidt moving out and Coach moving in might have been an attempt to create new dynamics and story lines within that but instead it felt like the characters were having to establish themselves again and couldn't develop. That being said, I've really enjoyed watching Coach. I wasn't keen on him in the pilot but I think the writers made some great adjustments to his character making him more relatable and easier to watch. His shouting/screaming tendencies would have become far too tedious. 

Winston and Cece's characters weren't used to their full potential in my opinion. Winston's story lines have always seemed to be thrown in for good measure, to make up scenes and never more so than in SE3. With her relationship with Schmidt ending early on and Ness being an item, Cece's role became increasingly insignificant. Throughout previous series she's moved back and forth from between being a main character and supporting and as much as I love her character I wish the writers would decide.

Perhaps the best decision made was not to continue with Schmidt and Cece's relationship. Ending it allows Schmidt to be free and it's his unusual ways of interacting with women that provide for lots of the humour surrounding him. Ultimately I think (and hope) Schmece will be together. They are much better suited that Ness in my opinion and if it's written well, will make for the perfect storyline when the time eventually comes for the roommates to leave the loft and go their separate ways.

Looking ahead.. SE4

If the flash backs from their college years are anything to go by, Schmidt and Nick sharing a room is bound to create lots of hilarity and awkward moments. 

I hope to see Nick and Jess dating other people but I really hope it's not construed in a way that one's left pining after the other (think Rachel when Ross was dating Julie. 'Ness' needs to be knocked on the head for at least the time being.

Winston's character is completely underrated so I hope his new role in the police force will provide for a solid storyline. As for Coach, I'm not sure what I want to see from him. I'm intrigued to see how his character develops, I think he's one to watch!

Despite not particularly enjoying Season 3, I'm excited for the 4th Season. The cast is great and when the writers are on form, they are REALLY on form and New Girl is one of my favourite sitcoms. 

Do you watch New Girl? Do you agree with my opinions of Season 3? I'd love to know what you think will happen next.

Love Lucy ox

No comments